Monday 22 May 2017

Productive Cough 🤢

Following my excellent trip to Carronade a week ago I have been struck down with a nasty chesty cough. This combined with a challenging week at work meant I wasn't well enough to go to Partizan which was the plan. Very disappointed but I am strongly of the belief that we should all try to focus on the positive in our lives. A bit of enforced quiet time means (in small bites) I have been able to focus on some painting🙂

First up with time on my hands I have spent a lot of time thinking about projects and decided it was time to finally start the ACW project. I already have quite a few figures (unpainted) so I wanted to experiment with a faster approach to painting units. As I am looking at multi basing I needed to paint the Figures before basing which is normally the other way round for me.

 
Stage one figures (Perry Confederates) stuck together and fixed with double sided tape to three large pieces of wood. I deliberately cur the wood to accommodate 8 figures and still give just enough space to access details
Sprayed white primer and grey base coat
Picked out details mainly in mixed browns and some slightl darker grey
Figures basecoated....
As all my figures some stain/earth shade added
A quick process of highlighting, which was very quick on the wooden painting bases, the 40mm square bases were then covered in milliput, figures stuck on a bit of sand to cover the flat bit between the figures legs, brown paint, dry brush and a bit of grass.

The bases took slightly longer than I had hoped but I estimated the whole unit took about 6 or 7 hours work. Quite happy with the resulting unit. They are usable now but would benefit from a tiny bit more detail which I will add later when I have more units. The flag is photocopied direct form the ones which come in the box. I am going to keep each unit generic and provide them with state flags separately.

My second unit are the Numidian light cavalry which had been sat on my painting tray for ages.
Nothing massively special about these, lots of brown ! Shields are hand painted and made up generic patterns.
The victrix horses are some of the best sculpts ever and wonderfully dynamic, figures slightly more a pain as the cloth/skin boundary on each figure can be slightly in distinct.

19 comments:

  1. Numidian's shield are great!
    regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michal simple really....😀

      Delete
  2. Nice unit painting on your ACW, I always seem to do to many and get dispirited! Numidians have come out very well, lovely shields.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks I am trying to find the most efficient method as I have quite a few to paint !

      Delete
  3. Nice stuff. ACW is some ting else we could do, I have loads of both and as much again unpainted. Have no good rules though. What are the ones in the box like

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin.....definitely acw....I will push on with the painting. Box ones are too simple but I have some others ....need to test them a bit first. Will let you know 😀

      Delete
  4. Our house has been hit by the lurgy, too. Still...seems you've made the most of it! Hope you're on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lot of it about....pick up brush.....cough.....cough paint .......cough ...getting better today 😀

      Delete
  5. First, sorry to read about your illness but it presented an opportunity to hit the painting desk. That is good.

    Second, great work on the Numidian shields. Love the freehand shield designs. Six or seven hours from start to finish on your large ACW regiment is bloody excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks....cough/cold on the mend I am striking while the enthusiasm lasts 😀 I am hoping to find the most efficient painting approach for the acw as I have quite a few to do.

      Delete
  6. And this is how much you achieve when you are feeling under the weather - wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just don't look to close at the detail 🤓

      Delete
  7. Productive indeed! Nice work. I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Going well there Matt. Good use of down time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David......I have been looking at the ACW figures for far too long.

      Delete
    2. If you email me through my blog address I can help you out with ACW flags.

      Delete
  9. Bloody hell Matt, how many do you do when your fighting fit? Hope you are feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil I find when the enthusiasm is high you can just get stuf done 😀 On the mend slowly.

      Delete
  10. Just getting back into looking at people's blogs, so you'll have to forgive me for dropping back a post to talk about your ACW. I think they look great. When are you putting on a wargame at a show with them? ;)

    ReplyDelete