Monday 13 April 2020

American War Independence: Foot Guards ?

Lockdown is definitely giving me more hobby time despite other challenges so this holiday weekend I have cracked on and finished the next AWI unit.

These are Perry miniatures bought as part of the big job lot at York show earlier in the year, just enough to make a 20 man unit, although two drummers and the officer is a standard bearer as well I think.

Now I took quite a bit of time debating on the colour scheme, their uniforms are more like light infantry and I have seen them painted as light infantry with black plumes, I have seen very similar painted as welsh fusiliers and in some places with red plumes. I have struggled to find any decent references to these hats at all. However, I have also seen them labelled on a number of occasions as guards and have read somewhere they sometimes had brown or black feathers? Not being a huge stickler for historical authenticity I have decided they will be the 3rd Foot Guards and given them the appropriate flags. Flags by the way are from Adrian’s Walls off eBay although I think they may be originally from somebody else. They are pretty good, and you get a sheet full for £10. Paper quality is excellent.

19 comments:

  1. A dandy looking unit there Matt, bravoπŸ‘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil....I probably need to do some continentals soon πŸ€”

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Rodger the new project just starting to gather some momentun

      Delete
  3. Excellent. I have a copy of British army uniforms 1751 to 1783 by franklin. Full nerd but no hats or plume description in book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you send me the regiment Id I'll photo the plate and email it to you. Foot guards on way

      Delete
  4. A fine addition to the ongoing project. On the hat and plume issue, well, if it doesn't bother you why care if it bothers some lace freak is my position.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David I’m certainly not going to panic and the unit feels right to me πŸ‘

      Delete
  5. Very nice Matt, things are really moving along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, yep new project gathering some pace, I have a mass to paint yet but certainly a battle now starting to feel a possibility this side of Christmas ?

      Delete
  6. Excellent work, Matt! The Perry AWI range is a good one and I have painted many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan , yep range is what the magazines would call comprehensive. I just need to crack on .........

      Delete
  7. Wow! You are flying through these Matt, great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael yep project gathering some pace and I have plenty in the lead pile waiting πŸ˜€

      Delete
  8. Nicely done, lovely unit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci Phil hope you are keeping well πŸ‘

      Delete
  9. Great job and you are a good inspiration for us starting our AWI. I too won’t be too bothered about uniforms being 100% correct. As long as they look nice. πŸ˜€

    ReplyDelete