Wednesday 26 January 2022

What do Sikh Infantry and a French Napoleonic Colonel have in common ?

Nothing that I can think of but I have painted them both this week πŸ™‚

Sikh infantry to fight with the British in our developing Great Game setting. These are technically Turks but as Martin has so many Turks there isn’t much point me collecting them, so instead I will focus on British, Russians and Tribal forces. Woodbine figures, very nicely posed. Perhaps the British have captured some Turkish uniforms and passed them on ?
Next up with infantry units completed for the French they need a commanding officer, here he is from the army box. A metal Warlord figure, clearly the horse is a little small so a sculpting error ? but he will be fine when I have enough figures for a battle.
Finally I think most of us like a good map, I certainly do, and I found this one for a ‘modest’ price on eBay, taken from a book but it is a good size about 2 feet across, showing the perfect area for our ‘Great Game’ Campaign. The map is around 1910 as far as I know identifying if you look carefully the split in Persia between Russian and British influence,  the Turkish Empire running all the way down the Persian Gulf. I find it quite fun looking at these maps even if it doesn’t really form too much detail in the campaign.

Hopefully two games this weekend and more painting on the way πŸ‘


26 comments:

  1. Great looking new painted stuff sir!
    Best regards

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely work again Matt although the Warlord horse is certainly a bit dodgy - I do find some of their metal stuff a bit so/so but you cant deny the variety of ranges they produce. The WWI Sikhs are great but did you do a head swap - they dont look Turkish to me?? Or have I missed the point you are making....?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith, the Woodbine figures come without heads so you can very easily do head swops. So the bodies are Turks with Sikh heads, those with a very sharp eye (not me) can see the backpacks are different and the webbing different to the british.

      Delete
    2. Oh right...."sharp eyed" is just an inoffensive way of saying anorak wearing button counter!

      Delete
  3. The French officer looks rather dashing. Like you I also like to look over old maps, great for formulating campaign ideas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Splendid additions to the collection Matt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have found khaki quite quick to paint which is nice for a change πŸ‘

      Delete
  5. nice work on both types. May buy some chinese types this weekend, money left at end of month but need a new fence as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers….your budgeting sounds more disciplined than mine πŸ‘

      Delete
  6. Lovely work Matt and although the horse looks small, you could simply put it down to the chronic supply issues the French had for their cavalry and draught horses late on during the Wars. The Sikhs look great too and frankly you can't beat a good map to look at:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve , perhaps his previous horse was shot from beneath him and this is a just a replacement ?

      Delete
  7. Your Sikhs in khaki look great as does your chef de battalion. Who doesn’t love an interesting map?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely map,nice officer on his dodgy horse,I guess your Sikhs have mausers and not British webbing, although Indian army kit was different from British kit, so if it was leather it's alright and you cant really tell which rifle it is with a fixed bayonet, so all good, lovely work as always!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, I cheated slightly by painting their webbing white to differentiate it form the British and I can live with the slight rifle variations πŸ‘

      Delete
  9. Lovely work again Matt. I like those Woodbine figures especially, and remember seeing them on the Gripping Beast website ages ago. Not the cheapest around if I remember correctly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence …..I was particularly luck to pick up a large job lot of woodbine figures second hand at a show a few years ago, they have been sat waiting for me to do something with them πŸ™‚

      Delete
  10. Great job. I’m not sure what a Sikh is but they look good. πŸ˜€

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew. I feel obliged to enlighten you….. Sikhism is one of the significant world wide religions, started in the Punjab in NW india. Because of the British empire influence in this area of the world many Sikhs have fought for the British in many wars and conflicts through to today. I believe more Sikhs than Jews currently in the world.

      Delete
  11. Lovely toys Matt…
    Clearly there were supply issues in Persia, Afghanistan Etc. So the Sikh’s have had to improvise…

    Love the map…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly the variation in webbing and rifles is quite small really πŸ‘

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete