Monday 28 December 2020

Battle of Rolica : Command and Colours

 Well Christmas Day has been and gone, the country is in and out of lockdown and the weather has been pretty poor but luckily we were able to be together as a family for the first time since last Christmas which has been really nice. With some pre ordering I made sure I received a handful of hobby related gifts.

Dark age archers for my planned battle of Hastings in 2021, hot off the press a new Rubicon Panzer III, a couple of really nice books the Spanish Civil war being a surprise gift from my son encouraging me to start another period !!  Plus Command and Colours Napoleonics. I ordered this ages ago having seen a number of games being played on other people’s blogs and scratching a historical itch.
Anyway my son makes an idea opponent so I spent a couple of hours christmas afternoon and Boxing Day sticking the unit cards on the blocks and reading the rules. We do have a copy of Memoir 44 which we played when kids were younger so we are broadly familiar with the style of the game. Boxing Day evening we were able to set up and play the first scenario the battle of Rolica. If you are not familiar with C&C the core mechanics are fairly simple but it gives considerable subtlety in the game which takes around 2 hours.
Rolica sees the British, supported by some Portuguese  under Wellesley attempt to knock the smaller French force off a ridge line next to the town. After some initial long range shooting the British (my son) grabbed the horns and sent Nosey directly at the ridge with as many troops as he could muster.
The French were soon struggling to hold the ridge and the British pressing on their left flank as well.
Gripping tightly to the ridge the french attempt some easy victory points by attacking the weaker Portuguese troops but they quickly form square and turn the French light cavalry back
Despair now on the ridge, french have been hit really hard, the British infantry using cold steel to force the assault.
French command under Delaborde is pushed back, but Nosey has neglected to deal with the last French Light infantry unit who pour a devastating volley along the ridge, the broths at this point only needed a single point to win !
The ridge is again clear but there are few french left to hold the line
The British try an aggressive cavalry charge on their right ordering the Portuguese cavalry forward but their charge is turned back. Both sides now only needed a single point so it is next point wins
Having feinted on the right the french light cavalry spot a solitary figure in the distance and in the classic first episode from Sharpe (we really didn’t plan this) they charge Wellesley who had been left out in the open.
Captured....perhaps to be recused later by a member of the 95th with a rather rough Yorkshire accent ? Obviously he can’t be dead as that would really mess up history !
But a Narrow French victory 5 to 4, they clearly couldn’t hold the ridge any longer but Henri Delaborde has delayed the British advance which was his objective.

A splendid introduction to the game which we both really enjoyed. We may have made a couple of minor rule errors but with a few more games we should have it. I’m sure as many others have I am pondering expansions and the potential use of the system and the blocks for other games, these thoughts may never come to fruition but they are fun to ponder.

We are planning another game this evening πŸ˜€

28 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Very popular, fairly simple and gives a result in 1-2 hours and whilst clearly simplified and abstracted gives a good historical feel.πŸ‘

      Delete
  2. Well it beats my two games of A Nightmare Before Christmas Cluedo, but I did win both games which as to be a plus��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two wins? It is the End of Days...πŸ˜‰

      Delete
    2. We’ll sort another game Phil in the new year....C&C does feel like a Wargame at least πŸ‘

      Delete
    3. πŸ‘ look forward to itπŸ™‚

      Delete
  3. Looks like a very interesting game

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Worth investigating, I’m not really hex gamer but do have a copy of memoir 44 their Normandy game which we played years ago with my son. This is quite fun and gives a real historical feel. My sons attention span to play won’t stretch these days to a proper game but the two battles we have fought have been good fun.

      Delete
  4. A nice Xmas haul and the SCW is an interesting period to game, if as like me, you enjoy early WWII battles. The C&C game looks game and is on my list to try and play at some point next year, FtF gaming permitting of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly hadn’t planned to do SCW but I look forward to learning some more. We have certainly enjoyed our two C&C battles they have a real historical feel πŸ‘ the rules need a little effort to get sorted and they is some complexity, but they work and have been tested to death over the years !

      Delete
  5. Nice assortment of wargame related Christmas presents with beginnings for two new projects. Good to see you making the jump into CCN. This is a great system that offers high replayability with the outcome rarely decided until the last flag is captured. The last point witnessed by your close 5-4 Rolica game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon.......not sure about two new periods that might be testing me too much ! We have certainly enjoyed our first two battles. πŸ˜€

      Delete
  6. Great looking wargaming toys, Matt! Enjoy and best wishes for 2021!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice haul Matt, C&C's does make for an enjoyable afternoon, trying to press gang the ladies of my house into a game... I guess the lockdown is not quite long enough... The nest step is to take down the internet at home :-)
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stu and good luck with that I would have about as much chance getting my dear wife to play as flying to the moon. So I will make the most of my son while he is at home and then plan to investigate either virtual or solo play to see if that works πŸ€”

      Delete
  8. A goodly haul of Christmas cheer there Matt. My mate Julian has Command & Colours and we played a few games 12-18 months ago, which I enjoyed. One evening, we even managed two games in about four hours, Brits v French and swapping sides for the second game. The use of random cards to allow various movements does limit the opportunity for a fully independent tactical plan, but its still a fun game and I like the combat resolution with the dice marked with troop type!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith.....we have found both the battles we have fought enjoyable with a reasonable sense of period and tactical complexity. I am sure others have considered using the rules for other larger battles.

      Delete
  9. Not a game I have come across, but then I'm not a board gamer, just a bored gamer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have certainly enjoyed our couple of battles, it’s has a reasonable historical feel and gave two close and resolved games in less than 2 hours. Sadly we all know the lockdown is going to carry on for a while now......we must all dig in πŸ‘

      Delete
  10. This is a game I own Matt...
    Alas I have yet to use it... although I have had a game a couple of years ago.
    I remember it being a lot of fun... hopefully it will get some use next year.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should introduce Mharaid to CnC Aly....

      Delete
    2. Well the two games we have played have been very enjoyable, fairly fast once you get the basics of the rules, certain recommend giving it a try πŸ˜€

      Delete
  11. Good looking game and nice haul, hmmm Spanish civil war hmmm!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I know another early war period....and not the one I was thinking about gaming, I was actually thinking Italians and Greeks, but then also thinking about getting some afghans for my back of beyond figures...........too much πŸ‘

      Delete
  12. Command and Colours Napoleonics, good pick up! Nice game report. My favourite (currently) in the series is the Great War version.
    I look forward to seeing how the early Pz III kit goes together, it’ll rule out the need for a resin Pz III e for me.
    πŸ˜ƒ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are enjoying the system......which feels very right for Napoleonics. Great War ? Interesting although not a period that really interests me that much. I will endeavour to get the Pz III up and running so what this space !

      Delete