Thursday 28 October 2021

Early War British Tanks and some work in progress

About a year ago I was looking to balance my British early war armour with the ever expanding German forces. Ever one for a bargain I found a company on eBay selling 3D prints, I know we are all slightly cautious as this new technology develops and we have all seen some pretty ropy prints floating about. 

The company is www.3dprintingvalley.com and in this case the photos looked very good if slightly odd due to the translucent nature of the material used in the print. Initially I was looking to by one just to check but they were offering four early British tanks at a very reasonable price.

When they arrived I was hugely impressed with the detail and quality of the print, here they are straight form the box.
And a bit more of a close up of the MkIV. As computer generated prints they are quite clean, the detail in terms of rivets etc is amazing and include details like the coaxial machine guns in the print. They do appear fairly robust. It then took me ages to get them painted up but two of them appeared in the recent Sealion game (albeit I have improved the markings on them since then)
A simple paint job with big brush over a spray undercoat, some minor prep work around the wheels but taking no more than a minute or so on each tank. Now as a Wargamer rather than modeller these seem pretty ideal. Scale wise they are great perhaps fractionally smaller than for example Warlord but only noticeable if you stand then right next to each other. Cost with postage these were about £14 each, way cheaper than other manufacturers. At the moment I’m finding it hard to find fault ?
I’ve also been painting up a bit more 10 mm scenery 
And have been spending some time prepping, quite therapeutic on occasions to stick and glue stuff, this just shows the broad range of periods I am currently dabbling in 😀

Should be another SYW battle this weekend if it ever stops raining in Cumbria ?

Thanks for looking Matt



22 comments:

  1. Those tanks looked great. I've picked up loads from Paint and Glue for my SCW collection

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I’ve seen the ones you picked up Neil. It is worth checking this company as they do some interesting vehicles and they are great quality ps I have absolutely no connection with the company just really impressed 👍

      Delete
  2. These models turned out, great, Matt! I am looking forward to seeing your SYW action. Is your battle planned for outdoors?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon definitely not this one is coming indoors, we’re playing Kolin which we can squeeze to a smaller foot print

      Delete
  3. Matt, the rain is looking pretty bad by you. The tanks look superb …… unpainted they are zombie tanks!

    From a wargaming perspective, not having to assemble figures / vehicles is a huge bonus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From my insider knowledge it isn’t too bad what ever the news is saying, but yes very wet ! We’re somebody so inclined you could probably put a light in them ? Although not sure why you would. They work for me 👍

      Delete
  4. Excellent to see that 3d printed early war tanks are doing so well. The sheer number of rivets at that time is quite a hurdle for a printer to handle. I am going to guess these were resin kits? As the technology evolves, they will get better & better. The cost per model should you purchase your own 3d printer will offset the cost of kits & shipping. By buying an stl file, you will be able to print as many as you need for your force & can reprint should something terrible happen to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terry the tech appears to have improved quite quickly within the last couple of years. I’m not sure for me I would get the benefits, even I might struggle to have many more early war tanks !!

      Delete
  5. Tanks look ok and have painted up really well. It seems right now you are getting more than your fair share of rain in Cumbria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David for prints the quality has really improved recently. As for the rain we’re used to it

      Delete
  6. Nice looking tanks Matt…
    They certainly don’t seem to be covered in build lines… which sadly is often the case.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have little knowledge on 3d printing but yes this is apparently a different medium which gives the much finer quality, what print lines there are are very fine and barely noticeable.

      Delete
  7. Even more impressed seeing them painted than when you showed them me when they were in the buff, the level of detail and quality us amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil condisering they are 3d prints the detail is impressive

      Delete
  8. Wooooa! These tanks looking really great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michal my painting is pretty rudimentary 👍

      Delete
  9. Splendid looking early war armour 3d prints! They've come out really well, nice terrain and I seem to be mostly prepping, as you say, quite therapeutic!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain if I need more tanks (silly question) I will be looking here first👍

      Delete
  10. Wow, the tanks totally transformed once painted. In their bare state I thought they looked quite odd. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep scary when you get them out the box but a quick coat of paint and transformed into wargaming magic 👍

      Delete
  11. These are great Matt and I think with 3D the vehicles are probably a safer bet than the figures at this stage. Having said that, the 3D figures I have recently featured on my blog are perfectly acceptable in my opinion. I guess the quality issue is just how well the original designer does their work - some traditionally cast metal figures or resin vehicles can be pretty average too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those SLA printed tanks are superb and yes they are resin, which is much better at detail but less durable (depending upon the resin used) than say the Butler's 3D printed ones, which uses a different technology. Great work on the buildings too. As for the rain, not too bad here but it has been peeing it down all night, so another day when I can't get out on the bike:(

    ReplyDelete