Tuesday 12 October 2021

Norwegians, Austrians, Normans and Persians !

 Well a quick update of painting and purchasing progress in the dungeon 😀

I have been focussed on Dark ages for a while in the painting queue so for a change of pace I cracked on with the Norwegians I had purchased from America. These were from Gorgon Studios a trifle expensive on the postage but as far as I am aware the only company that makes Norwegians ? I purchased a collection of all the figures they make. Above two bolt action squads, half of them have rusk sacks. Two command figures with pistols.
And the Madsen Machine gun set which will play either in or out of the squads above. When combined with my other Norwegians I think I have enough for a small independent force, but of course can be combined with British for a slightly larger engagement. From my Osprey book the uniforms are kind of their dress uniforms whilst the other units I have are more rough and ready I may combine them as required to create a homogenous force ?
Next up I whizzed through another battalion of Austrian Grenadiers, not much to say about these they are small pink and from Pendraken 
Purchases, in the end after some internal debate I decided the drive to Partizan was just too long, next year I will be more organised  ahead. But to make myself feel better (I know I really didn’t deserve it) I had a look through eBay and surprisingly found a couple of reasonable bargains which is a bit rare these days. Above having played Hastings and Stamford Bridge obviously I need more cavalry, so these Crusader Norman cavalry are perfect, these will find their way into the queue soon I hope.
Next up these came up as well, two boxes of these out of production Persian cavalry again at a very reasonable price, I already have two of these unit so this will make it up to a real Persian cavalry wing. The horses thankfully have different heads in the box. The cover art really doesn’t do them justice and they are really very nice, clean and easy to paint figures. Not too much detail.
Finally several trips out at the weekend one with my daughter to Brough Castle, including this rather nice Norman keep.
Finally a walk in the hills,  dark and moody.

I also managed a game of Saga at the weekend so will try and blog that up soon.

Hope you are all well KBO

Matt



25 comments:

  1. Oh, a lot of great looking minis sir!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going well there Matt on both painting and purchasing! As ever nice landscape shots raising the spirits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David hopefully more landscapes to come but they might not be so sunny ?

      Delete
  3. Nice work on the Norwegians and a couple of bargains as well

    ReplyDelete
  4. those Norwegians look fantastic. Found 30 unpainted saxons in the lead pile, which has grown nicely. See you soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers…more Saxons just what we need 👍

      Delete
  5. Nice work on the Norwegians especially. The Austrians are awesome to these old eyes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 10 mm figures really aren’t that bad as long as you don’t worry too much about detail just the overall effect

      Delete
  6. Fine additions to the collections Matt. That is one impressive looking keep and a stunning landscape shot too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil 👍 just think if Harold had won Hastings ! We might all still be living in wooden huts !

      Delete
  7. Love the Norwegians and a good mix of other stuff too. The Norman keep looks pretty impressive:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve free to visit for anybody travelling across the A66

      Delete
  8. That was a very unusual title Matt and drew me in immediately even though I should be heading to bed as its nearly 11pm and I have work in the morning! The Norwegians look nice and could also be teamed with French troops of course. Nice you were able to find a bargain on eBay - I thought I had found a cool figure to add to my Pulp collection recently but there was a bidding war at the end and I dropped out - it went for twice what you can just go to the manufacturer and buy the figure for, so that was all a bit odd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to keep you up Keith and hope the post wasn’t disappointing. Yes the Norwegians can fight solo, British, french polish even french foreign legion although I haven’t been able to track down if the FL had different uniforms

      Delete
  9. Splendid stuff Matt…
    And people say I’m a butterfly…😁
    I love the guy casual carrying the Madsen… I used to own one of these… it weighs a bloody ton…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I love the way you casually drop into the conversation that you used to own a light machine gun Aly🤣

      Delete
    2. Thanks Aly and I am sure there is a story behind the machine gun ?

      Delete
  10. Ahhhh, the cycle goes ever on; painting and buying miniatures. 😀
    Love the pic of the Norman keep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew….yes the Buy Paint Repeat process…I think I might have bought more than I paint ? But there is time yet

      Delete
  11. Great looking Norwegians, later day scandahooligans, nice to see a theme continuing! Good to have a result on ebay! Lovely moody landscapes!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain plenty going on hope to get the Norwegians in their smart uniforms into battle soon

      Delete
  12. I SWEAR I replied to this great batch of Norwegians post! They all look great and I await a return to the North Country to try them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing like a commitment to battle to crack on with painting. So they are done ready 👍

      Delete