Tuesday 12 December 2023

An Al Andalusian Skirmish and French Army command

Back at battleground I was introduced (and played through the Uboat scenario) to a Wargamer from Canada visiting the UK. Turns out Jon from Edmonton was staying close to Penrith sorting out family stuff. So before he returned we sorted out a visit to the dungeon mainly for a chat but also to roll some dice. I called up some Arab forces for a small Lion Rampant skirmish (ideal for a lighthearted game and a chat).

I didn’t take too many photos (as we were chatting away) but it was a fun gameπŸ˜€

Two different but equal forces, Jon’s mercenary Christian cavalry come charging across the battlefield (this already feels worryingly familiar)
My infantry take a battering, in the distance my right wing has started to collapse so we go in with the ‘duel’ this first occasion ends in a draw
A couple of turns later and the Mercenary cavalry are still causing me problems, my infantry is battered back the only answer is to offer up another duel and try and squeeze an undeserved win ?
No such luck my commander goes down in the duel as the enemy begins to surround my remaining forces. Good fun and hopefully Jon will return for a rematch sometime in the new year.
Not too much painting this week although I am working on some more French Dragoons, I did manage to finish off my French Corps/Army command base. For use in SoN or larger Napoleonic battles. A random mix of Perry figures from my box painted in suitably flamboyant colours. As you can’t see all the figures from any angle I took the liberty of taking shots from different angles.
This is the largest command base I now have in any collection I think !
and you don’t get to use pink very often πŸ™‚ the uniforms/colours are ‘pretty’ much authentic 

I now need to do some more British command stands !

Thanks as usual I hope to complete the dragoons this week and then might try and start on some limbers unless I get distracted.

Matt 🫣


25 comments:

  1. Great to get a hook-up (as the youngsters say …. i think!) with Jon.

    The command stand is lovely ….. and then some more, must be a bit of heft to that beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm, I think it’s an 80mm base and you are right if nothing else I can use it as a paperweight πŸ‘

      Delete
  2. Great to see you have picked up another intercontinental "Jon" wargaming friend. Never can have too many of them. Superb looking command stand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a very fine looking command base and your Al Andulus is fabulous as ever and always tempts me to get the wallet out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil I do seem to have collected a lot of french command figures ? As for Al Andalus it is certainly a colourful period and lots of lovely figures out there. But who am I to say !

      Delete
  4. Great to welcome a new gamer to the Dungeon experience. The Command stand is just marvellous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to have met Jon. Love the command stand

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a cracking outing... Great stuff Matt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stu a fun little pick up battle πŸ‘

      Delete
  7. Another fun game and a great command stand. It is always nice to get to use a bit of pink as a change of pace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence…….i guess pink is rubbish for camo ?

      Delete
  8. Nice to catch up with a fellow enthusiast (read looney :)) from overseas Matt - was he aware of your blog prior to meeting or did he know nothing about you at all?
    The command base looks great - but NO pink can be used in the British equivalent, just ain't the done thing, dontcah know?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not looney surely…we are all sane here ! Yes Jon was aware via another blogger. I am hunting out any pink uniforms for the British in the Peninsular ?

      Delete
  9. Fine game and command stands, plus a bonus of some FtF gaming and chat too:).

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lovely looking game and a lovely Command group Matt…
    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  11. Splendid command stand and nice looking battle too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete