Thursday 2 August 2018

Celebrating 500 : Why did I start Wargaming ?

It almost slipped by but in line with several other birthday celebrations I felt I needed to mark this occasion in some small way. This by some amazing feat is my 500 th post. A few of you have been with me from start others along the way and I guess if you have made it this far I hope you have found something that interests you amongst everything else. Like many I started the blog mainly to record what I was enjoying about my hobby, I was taking photos but really had nowhere to store them. From there it has grown into a small community. Quite a few of you I have now met in the real world and would consider friends so that has been a tremendous bonus. Thanks to you all of course for following and commenting when you get a chance.

I am not one for big retrospectives, which is of course odd for somebody so interested in history ? So what I thought I would share was a small glimpse into why I think I am interested in military history and wargaming. Two books which have in hindsight had a huge impact on my life and started it all for me.......

'
Firstly there is Glorious Battles of English History
This is now wonderfully dated written before the grim reality of the First World War, a time of only slightly faded Empire and true boys own stuff.
The book covers many of the famous battles from English history with just enough detail for me as a child and then of course it includes for each battle the most fabulous illustration by Harry Payne, yes this was a time of black and white TV, no magazines etc....so these illustrations were an absolute inspiration for me sparking my childish imagination 🙂
Secondly of course is the ‘Bible’ and I know many of you will have been introduced, influenced and inspired by Donald Featerstone’s War Games
I cannot even imagine the number of times I read this book as a child and even now when I open it up the illustrations are like familiar friends from my childhood. So simple compared to modern standards but for me these were what wargaming was about.
The battle of Trimsos
ACW Plattville Valley
WW2 action on the St James Road

I am of course not unique, and this is perhaps one of the most interesting revelations of the internet and blogging world. There are in fact lots and lots of people who have very similar experiences and interests. If you are one of them I hope you enjoy the next 500 posts 😀

23 comments:

  1. Bravo Sir and here's to another 500 posts to come. A thoroughly enjoyable blog and one where I am always heartened by your enthusiasm, creativity and encouragement of others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael for your support we will see where the next 500 take me 😀

      Delete
  2. Great inspirations Matt .. well done on the first 500

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave of course nowadays I find some of my inspiration from some of the fantastic games people like you put on.......🙂

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on your 500th, I shall look forward to the next. Always an entertaining read with fine looking photos.

    War Games, I had that on almost permanent loan from the library, it must have been at least twenty years later that I found it remaindered in the same library, needless to say it is now mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil I wonder what the inspiration for future gamers will be perhaps our blogs ?🤔

      Delete
  4. Happy 500th, great blog and because of it, I am doing something new at the moment :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm grand if I have encouraged something new....as long as it gives you pleasure 🙂

      Delete
  5. Well done on reaching 500 posts, Matt!

    Always a great pleasure to see what you are up to on the gaming and travel front. You set a spectacular gaming table and your frequent BatReps are inspiring.

    Looking forward to following your activities in the next 500!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan like wise I suspect you might have got me back in cycling 😀

      Delete
    2. Excellent news to read that my cycling may have provided a bit of inspiration!
      On today's ride, I stopped to help a stranded cyclist with a flat. He was riding a superb and lightweight machine but had not packed a repair kit. I had a spare tube, tools, and pump to help him out. He was very grateful!

      Delete
  6. My interest was originally sparked by Ladybird books and of course Featherstone. Well done and keep posting

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done on reaching the 500 posts milestone. I have that very Featherstone book. That and the Airfix guides were staple reading for me back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent amazing how many people of a certain generation had the same introduction, I have a few of the airfix books still as well 😀

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on 500 posts ,nice books to provide childhood inspiration!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain I do hope youngsters in the future have something to inspire them

      Delete
  9. Congrats on 500 posts! That’s a really high number. 😀
    I must be younger than you, because I always had color TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew it does feel a lot but I try hard to make each one interesting.

      Delete
  10. Well deserved congratulations on your milestone post. Always a great pleasure to see your games and figures. All the more for having chatted with you in person at a show. Hope to see you again soonish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David...as I have mentioned to you before your collections have provided me with much inspiration and still do 🙂

      Delete
  11. Congratulations. It is one of my great pleasures to come and move toys around your dungeon in a semi planned way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin not bad to come third behind beer and fags 😀 we’ll sort another game soon

      Delete