Sunday 31 July 2016

But I don't Do 40K anymore ! : AAR

Well at least not for ages. Prior to my American adventure we got the trusty Space Marines out against the evil tyranids. It has been a long time, two rule sets in fact, but that might just be GW milking the market. Anyway we played I think 7th edition and had a great time, my spaces marines are somewhere between Marines and Blood Angels but played here as basic marines as I couldn't remember half the rules.

Needless to say we had great fun the tyranids came swarming across and it looked all over then the marines regrouped and heroically won through. I have ordered the mini rule book and we will be playing again. (ed in fact we already have but I am as usual behind on posts)

 
The initial charge from the xenos tyranids an ancient dreadnought stomps out to meet them have no fear landraider rumbles forward as well this is going to be easy .....
 
Oh landraider blown up first turn 😬
 
Regroup space marines lay down heavy fire......
 
Predator tank sets to with auto cannons and heavy bolters.

I didn't get that many photos, and one or two of the tyranids aren't painted, but then if you look closely a lot of the Marines aren't quite finished either.....but it is my hobby and we had fun. The Emperors children won through in the end exterminating the xenos vermin !

As I was packing up next day I did a rare thing and got all my Space marine stuff out.. I guess about half is fully paint a quarter half painted and then the final quarter just started. If we play more I might even get some more finished off.

 

9 comments:

  1. Never played but looked fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not every bodies cup of tea......but we are all our own masters. If you can get over the ever increasing cost and GW hype the back story and going potential is fantastic.

      Delete
  2. I've always liked the Warhammer world/universe...though it was always the roleplaying side of things that grabbed me more (I actually did some playtesting and proofreading for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3rd Edition...my name is even in the credits for both!)...the need for such large painted armies always put me off the wargaming side. The battles always look fantastic, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.......sadly I have read or listened to quite a few of the horus heresy background and find it surprisingly compelling. Quite enjoy the gameplay for 40k as well. But it is expensive so I won't be getting a lot more soon.

      Delete
    2. I was a bit sniffy about tie-in/gaming novels until I read the Gortrek and Felix books several years ago...thoroughly enjoyed them! Dan Abnett's Eisenhorn was even better.

      Delete
  3. Great fun and that final picture looks great - quite the force you've built up there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Michael they started as my son's army then I pinched them off him when he lost interest....I have then added to them but with so many projects on the go they aren't growing anytime soon.

      Delete
  4. If only I played 40K, I could get a game every weekend.

    I dipped my toes into the game back in third edition and tried fourth, but my main game was WHFB as that was the game played by the majority at the two clubs I was with. Spring forward two decades, and now WHFB is no more, and 40K is the main game played at the only club in my area.

    I will confess to being slightly interested in the Tyranids as a race, and if I ever did go back to play 40K (I doubt I can afford it though, as I've too many other projects and so couldn't focus on GW) that I would plump for the Xenos Hive-Mind army. As far as I know the big favourites at the local club are Marines, Eldar and Tau.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure I would start from scratch again with other projects as they are, but what ever anybody thinks about GW they are great figures and the back story has real depth. The danger is taking it too seriously which of course some do, I really only play with friends where I am quite happy for my guys to die a glorious and hopeless death. I also love the terrain possibilities.

      Delete